Mills Family Crockpot Red Beans & Rice
- 2 cans organic dark red kidney beans OR 1 lb. bag dried red beans; follow directions for over-night soak or quick-soak
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Adobo seasoning with pepper (found in the Hispanic section of any grocery store
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preferred sausage (we like smoked turkey sausage) (optional)
For canned beans: Drain the cans mostly and then put all ingredients in the crockpot on high for 3 hours, stirring about halfway through.
For dried beans: leave the rice out to begin, and let everything else cook on low for about 4 hours. Then add the rice and 2 1/2 cups MORE water, cooking approximately 3 more hours. You do not want the rice to over-cook; so watch it closely as the time gets near.
You will have enough leftovers for an entire meal!